Inside Chamber Music
Each spring we offer our “Inside Chamber Music” class taught by Hamilton Cheifetz. Aimed at both enthusiastic chamber music beginners and seasoned devotees, this popular class explores chamber music past and present from the perspectives of performers, composers, and listeners alike.
The course includes enlightening and informative classes, live, up-close and personal performances, a behind the scenes look at chamber music rehearsals and coaching sessions, and discounted tickets to concerts. Call 503.224.9842 for more information.
The 2014 Inside Chamber Music class was on Mondays from 5:30 - 7:00 pm, March 31 - May 19, 2014.
Dates for the next Inside Chamber Music class will be announced in February 2015.
Highlights of the 2014 class included:
• March 31: Beethoven & Rebecca Clarke duos for viola and cello with violist Brian Quincey
• April 7: Coaching of Metropolitan Youth Symphony String Quartet on the Dvorak “American” Quartet
• April 14: Coaching of PSU students on Schubert Trio in E-flat Major, and working session on Die Taubenpost arranged for cello and piano
• April 21: Chamber music for oboe, flute, strings, and harpsichord with Karen Strand, Sydney Carlson, Adam Lamotte, Brian Quincey, and Doug Schneider; music by Mozart and J.C. Bach
• April 28: A lecture/demonstration of major and minor keys featuring the first two solo cello suites by Bach as well as the Spanish-flavored Suite by Cassadó
• May 5: Coaching of PSU Quintet in Dvorak Piano Quintet in A Major
• May 12: Russian sonatas for cello and piano by Prokofiev and Shostakovich with Janet Guggenheim
• May 19: Sonata for cello and piano by Rachmaninov with Janet Guggenheim
Read an interview with Hamilton Cheifetz about his love of chamber music and the Inside Chamber Music class.